7 February 2009

Personal Reflection [ week 2 ]


"Practice does not make perfect.
Only perfect practice makes perfect.."
- Vince Lombardi -

I am interested with the quote above because it really shows me that anything is possible to be achieved if we do a "perfect practice". In micro teaching week 2, I practiced peer to peer teaching with my classmate named Nico. The rules were simple, we acted as a teacher and a student, teacher taught in 15 minutes and student gave feedback. I was in the first turn, I taught Nico in 15 minutes and he gave me feedback. The feedback were surprising, he said that I was too "friendly" teacher and it made him put less-respect to me as a teacher, and I did many misspelling. Actually, I did not realized if I was too "friendly" and did many misspelling. While I was teaching, everything was just flow.... I enjoyed it (even I was very nervous.hehe). Maybe, may 'nervousness' made me did many misspelling. On the second turn, I acted as a student. I observed Nico while he's teaching. I made a list about his performance. When he had finished teaching, I tell him that he was too often made hand movement (e.g. touched his hair,nose,ears and neck) and his eyes often did not see me while teaching. He told me that he did not realized if he had done that.
After that, Mr. Prast gave his advices. He told that there are many things to be prepared before teaching. The main point is how will the students learn this? not how will I teach this? As a teacher, we should have good introduction (set induction) to create an atmosphere in such a way that the students' interest will be set upon the subject or topic they are going to learn. We should also know how to close the teaching-learning activities (set closure). There were some teaching strategies which we can do during teaching. For the example, we can move freely and relaxedly in order to avoid fear and to control the students' behaviour. Even we have good preparation, we could make any mistakes which were not realized like touched hair,nose,etc. We have to avoid them.
I learned a lot in micro teaching class week 2, I belive if I have good preparation, practicing, practicing and keep practicing, I will have good performance at teaching.

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates